Thursday, August 14, 2008

Mineral Belt Trail

August 4th and 6th were great days for a ride on the 11.6 mile loop around town. I 'm glad I could go a 2nd time with Amy so that I could actually stop and look at what we passed the first time.
Doug is an excellent photographer.
It hard to picture this valley full of miners,
noise, dust and worse over 100 years ago.

Doug demonstrates what NOT to do. Thanks for the tip.

Most of the timbers are original.

Each pile is the result of a mine.


Amy and Mike are on the down.
I was able to get up to 28mph when I went down.
No brakes for me. Free ride.

Looking down California Gulch at Leadville and Mount Massive.
Hard to beat a view like this.
Mount Elbert and Mount Massive.
The Tabor cabin where Baby Doe was found.

Amy and I made it to the top. Photo by Amy
More mine ruins. Was this used for storage?
This could be one of the earlier ruins in California Gulch. Panning for gold is what brought people here.

To learn more try: The National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum, Leadville, Colorado: A capsule History by Jerry Clark.

Take care & take pictures,
Kim

No comments: