Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A New Normal

What is normal? These last couple of weeks have been anything but. There were the tornadoes Memorial Day weekend in New Hartford east to Parkersburg on to Dunkerton that were rated EF5. There are the floods that are saturating my home town. Thousands of volunteers spent days shoring up the levy that protects downtown. My life, as I knew it, was yanked right out from under me and my children with my husbands accidental death at work. It had started as a normal day.

The community has pulled together for each other just as my own family, friends, neighbors and coworkers have supported my kids and I this last week and a half. The out pouring of support is both phenomenal yet typical of my town. They drop what they are doing to and rush to help.
They do not question or blame or expect a return. That is how my home town is.

To try and describe what one feels at a time like this is hard. This early I can't really wrap my brain and soul around what has happened. Many people have said they they cannot picture them self in my place. I realize that I can't really picture myself in my place either. I know I don't want to think about all the decisions and paper work that has to be done. I don't want to think at all. But I have to. So I will. I know that many people have been to where I am now. It can be done.

What was "normal" is a new "normal". I don't think I like this new normal but I have no choice. Just like the hundreds of people whose lives have been upended and their homes or businesses destroyed their possessions blown or floating away, they had no choice. Some how, with the support of those who will pray for me and help support my family,this new normal will work. It has to work.

My sister and two friends, Mike and Amy, came and got me out of the house yesterday to go downtown and look at the flooding. I took a few pictures.Looking north at the bike trail and access road from 18th Street.
CF Utilities are in the background.

Mothers everywhere protect their children with water raising fast.
We went way around to get on the other side of the water on Waterloo Road.
I live on the other side.
This seems a more appropriate way to get around.


The utilites is surrounded by water.We look east to Washington park. The utilities offices had a couple people stop by in boats.
The Western Home evacuated hundreds of senior citizens to higher ground elsewhere in town.
This is the back of the Western Home. Sandbagging was at a controlled frenzy.Dishes at the utilities.Sandbaggers met at the UNI dome to board school buses.
They were shuttled to the levy to raise the levy.

A couple of miles of sandbags.

A bit north was hundreds of volunteers working together. There was not a lot of talking.
It was very organized. My son helped during the night.
Several hundred people were up till 2am doing what they could.
Ice House Museum is absolutely surrounded. The sand bags that our Troop 55 helped place are totally submerged. Believe it or not there is a dam. The first time that I have ever seen the river run without dropping over the dam.
Looking north to the boat house you can see its roof.
The river is leaking though the bags and down the street. This is looking east at 1st and Main St.
Gateway park looking north.
The parkade, that's what we use to call it, braces itself for possible water.
We are on the bike bridge, Kreigs Crossing looking north at the bridge that
I took a picture of 3 pictures ago.

Unbelievable. Overwhelming.

We pray for all,
Kim

Update.. yesterday afternoon a tornado tore through a Boy Scout camp in Western Iowa. 4 Scouts were killed and almost 50 wounded. Enough already!

No comments: