Thursday, September 4, 2008

Farewell to Washington Park Golf Course

For 81 years the golfers of Cedar Falls were treated to a fun 9 hole course. Yearly fights with flood water came to an end this year with the catastrophic flooding that was as high as the rafters of the clubhouse.

My friend Mary and I rode down to check out what is left of the course and to say good bye. We have both played rounds there. She with her husband and I played quite a few times with my dad, brother and boyfriend. Fond memories were recalled. I can still vividly remember hitting the clubhouse off the first tee and the lady coming out to yell at me to, "Stop doing that." As if I meant to do that. Mary and I had both heard the "bonk" when balls driven off the first tee hit a hood or two. Of course I NEVER parked on the south side of the clubhouse. I knew better.


Looking in the driveway at the south end of the course.
It has been plowed up and reseeded.

The club house will be coming down soon.


You can make out the vinyl chairs . The white you see is mold. Yuck. We are looking through mold on growing on the windows. Mary wondered if the Hole In One board was still around. She said names were written on Popsicle sticks.

These pull carts were left behind by the flood.

The only tracks on the course now.

Looking down the first fairway. The cars were parked off to the left.

All that's left of the ball washer over by the northeast side of the long pond.


Was this sand from the sand traps? I was told there were no sand traps on this course.

You can see the line of the water on these mature trees.

All that's left of the pond by the 8th hole.
Water near the top of the bowl when I last played.

Goodbye Washington Park. You will live on in the memories of many generations of Cedar Falls golfers.

Take care and take pictures,
Kim

No comments: